Saturday, December 19, 2009

Time to break out the 6 Iron! (six consecutive hours logged today)



Let's see... where do I begin?
First of all, I can say that I'm gradually beginning to find out what I'm really made of.  Which is a truly rewarding and fulfilling feeling.  Today wasn't easy ~ but there were parts of it that were entertaining, fun, and truly memorable.  I decided in the beginning of the morning that I'd dedicate each hour to those fighting cancer as we speak, as well as those working (long and hard hours) to find a cure.  This really helped me keep my perspective, knowing it would be a long and grueling day ahead (especially when we were told it would initially be a 5-hour training day, let alone taking into account the extra 'bonus' hour) :)

Our lineup for today was a run (2-mile marker) / core / swim / bike-run-bike brick.  A schedule like today's often makes people ask me, "Are you ready?  5-6 hours of continuous exercise?  How are you going to do that?"  (as they remind me, that this workout totals more than my best marathon time).  And all I can really tell them is -- "Yeah, I'm ready, and I'm gonna do the whole thing."

Maybe you could call it blind faith, but that's what I've come to develop with my relationship with Team in Training in the last year ~ along with the coaching methods and training program it offers.  I know full well that these workouts are tough, draining, and [when you really put it into perspective] nearly impossible, considering what seemingly limited and minimal experience I currently have.  Don't get me wrong -- I still groan during those core workouts, when I'm aching and shaking, and all Coach Doug can say is, "alright, let's take it up another notch".  Whenever Coach Sedonia calls out continuous pyramid swim sets, building up on distances and strengths I hadn't really understood until recently ~ I get scared and a little apprehensive.  But there's just something about the energy of the team, and the coaches & the cause -- that gets me to believe I can do it, and to keep on going.

I improved my 2-mile time by 2:54, which puts me in a new pace group!



The core exercises really helped me push my limits (I'm pretty sore after using some 'new' muscles to complete the workout).  But as I've said in the past, it hurts so good!





Our swim was another rewarding one ~ I'm finding myself continually persistent and set on improving and defining my best stroke.



And the spin/run/spin brick got me to push out all my remaining adrenaline.  By the end of the day, I even found myself asking, "Ok what's next?"





This past week leading up to the 6-er also taught me a bit about prioritizing too.  With trying to tackle three sports while simultaneously fundraising and preparing for the holidays ~ I've found that some things just have to give.  So I wisely chose a few hours off my training this week to dedicate to my fundraising instead.  While initially a tough one, it was a decision I'm glad I made.  Because if you try and stretch yourself too thin between going to every swim, spin and run all while planning a fundraising event or carrying out a big plan to raise some dough, you'll just find yourself burnt out.  And iron doesn't burn.

***
Week #6 Workout Summary:

Swim: 3 hours and 0 minutes 
Bike: 2 hours and 0 minutes
Run: 2 hours and 0 minutes
Core/Strength: 1 hour and 0 minutes
Total Workout: 8 hours and 0 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment