Sunday, December 13, 2009

Eggplants, Honorees & a Little Bit o' Rain



What a week it's been! The first few days started out with a little soreness in the 'gluteal' area. After the bike mishaps of last Sunday, I was pretty achey ~ especially getting in and out of bed. It dawned on me by about Tuesday to check a mirror and scope out the situation... only to find a handful of bruises, not limited to one rather large honkin' mark on my right glute. Now, while it's just big enough to miss my swimsuit line and everyone at the pool this past week had the good 'fortune' to see it, it's just too gruesome a mark for me to actually post. But take my word for it: it's large, in charge, and probably the size of a small eggplant. And just as purple/black in color. Just a battle would I'll probably be sportin' for another week or two. (Right now, I've got a cumulative total of about seven.)

For this week, our coaches designated it as a Swim Focus Week. So I had spent lots of time in a total of three different pools. During the weeknights after work, we met with Coach Mike, who watched our forms closely. I've got a few things I'm trying to focus on simultaneously: more hip rotation (switch drills); adding power in my arms when I catch (sculling / catch-up drills); and breathing to both sides (triple switch drills). All of these adjustments will make for a more fluid and efficient stroke for me. So far, so good though. Little by little (and especially after that 800yd marker), I'm getting more confident about my swimming.

Yesterday, we were scheduled for a 35-mile bike ride. But since the rain came down relentlessly this weekend, we ended up swapping it for a spin day on our bike trainers. I hadn't done too many of the Team Spins yet, so I was in for a treat. We posted up outside of Walnut Creek Sports Basement at about 9 a.m. and hopped on our bikes. It ended up being a harem of Ironladies, led by Coaches Dave and Mike. Which made for a pretty entertaining training day...

The spin workout was very tough. Coach Dave's workout plan was to really simulate some continuous rolling hills. For the first hour (1 of 2), we had to gradually increase the resistance by adding a gear onto 'the big ring'. Without question, this workout really taught me a lot more about how to shift and what's comfortable for me fitness-wise. It got to be pretty difficult, trying to maintain a high cadence as we'd add gear after gear. And just when I thought we'd be at a cooldown or minute-off, some hard heavy metal song would pop up on the playlist and I knew this was not a 'cooldown track'. We'd have to add another gear. So I endured through that song. By that song's end, the gloves came off. Literally ~ my cycling gloves were just getting too warm to keep on, I peeled down my arm warmers, wiped my brow and took some swigs out of my water bottle. Then, came an even louder song. Pouring rain past the confines of our safe little overhang, there we were... the Ironchicks cranking it up yet another notch and busting through some pretty mean [simulated] hills. Really. Just when I thought I couldn't push any further, or my quads couldn't burn any harder, I upped it again and just pushed through. No one was stopping, which meant, no slowing down for me either. We did this continually for one whole hour and I didn't let up. How I did something like this again, I have no idea. [However, I will say, it sure BEAT getting out there on the road again and getting repeatedly bucked off the bike. My mind and body are still recovering from all of that.]

The second hour of spinning was comprised of several intervals. This back half was a lot more fun for me. Our playlist shifted over to an awesome little disco mix, which let's be honest, you can't spin to and NOT sing, find a rhythm and of course use your upper half to dance to. And that's just what we did. Our Core Coach, Doug, would have been proud. It was a good day to be shopping (and entertained) at Sports Basement on Saturday.

Now. As for today... another amazing day. Keeping in line with our Swim Focus Week, we culminated in a series of drills, mini-clinics, followed by a filming station so we could analyze our stroke and form with Coach Sedonia afterward. This entire swim workout was so cool. Literally!

First of all, this was not a heated pool. Something happened with the electricity and so we were out of luck in getting to dive into a steamy pool today. We headed up to the College of Marin, in Novato, whose pool unfortunately was about as cool as the rain gently sprinkling on top of it. And we all just had to dive in. So we did just that. Luckily, it didn't take me too long to warm up after swimming continuously. Which is more than I can say for some of my poor teammates. I can't tell you how many sets of teeth chatters I saw out there! Swiiimming in the rain, just swiiimming in the rain...

In my group, it was Will, Chris, Tiffany, Simon & Jane. The six of us stuck together and moved through each of the 'stations' together. We started out with a pyramid swim (gradually building up in strength level and distance, then decreasing back down). Another station consisted of teaching us how to 'sight' when swimming, so that we're prepared to anticipate and see where we're going when in open water. Another cool station showed us how to draft behind a group of swimmers, as well as swim WITH people on either side of you.



One of my bigger fears about the swim portion is just that -- when you're in open water and have people kicking you in the face, pushing, making all kinds of waves and currents that throw you off of your rhythm and stroke. So this series of mini-clinics definitely came in handy for me and so I hope to do more of them as we lead up to our first smaller distance tri in January. Yikes, I can't believe it's coming up soon.

After our 2-hour swim workout, we did some monster corework with Coach Doug. It's a little tough to do a plank series right after a long swim, but I really felt the association of all my core muscles when they're engaged with how they're used in swimming. Whether it's to increase hip rotation, keep yourself buoyant, or to really get a nice pull to increase your distance in the water.



Our morning ended with the best part: The Honoree Potluck. Not only was the variety of food fantastic, but the stories by our Team Honorees were truly moving. Today, Laura, Christophe & Frank all shared their stories of being diagnosed, going into remission, being stricken with cancer again, fighting through it, and using their experiences as positive and forceful modes to live life better and more fully. Both Christophe and Frank went on to complete Ironman races themselves after beating their illnesses. And Laura continues to astound me with her bravery, strength, and endurance. She even ran the Rome Marathon the year right before me! What's more, she also put a few minutes aside to tell me HER experiences with falling over and getting bruised up from trying to learn to ride clipless (before completing a century ride).

I am continually astounded by the people I meet through Team in Training. One of Honoree Frank's statements today really stood out to me. He was diagnosed with Stage 3 Hodgkin's Lymphoma at the age of 24. 24. And when he was diagnosed, he was told he had had it SINCE he was 21. Can you imagine, being at the prime of your early adulthood years... with no cares but graduating college, deciding which party or bar you're heading to next -- and being told there's a chance you are going to die? Frank's recollection of that moment when he received the phone call from his doctor, telling him his whole life could be all over -- just struck me, and my eyes welled up with tears. Frank said, "Don't wait until someone tells you something's wrong or you only have a few days left -- to live life fully and to your utmost enjoyment. Now is the time to do things like Ironmans or go after things you want." Tomorrow really is never promised. And so all we can really do is treasure and value who and what we have in our lives, and continue to pursue things that make us happy, and are of service to others.

Man, I am going to have some ROUGH days this season. I'm lucky I've had just one in the past five weeks. But it is going to get difficult. Yet it is in those very times that I need to continue to look back at the stories of Frank and Laura and Christophe. Not only have each of these individuals fought through their own personal struggles (physical, mental & emotional), but each of them has benefited from the research and advances made by LLS. Every dollar that a runner, cyclist, or triathlete has raised in the past 20+ years of Team in Training's existence, makes a difference -- and it has made it possible for the Franks, Lauras and Christophes of the world to continue to live, and to live stronger, just as we all should.

***
Week #5 Workout Summary [Swim Focus Week]

Swim: 5 hours and 30 minutes
Bike: 3 hours and 0 minutes
Run: 0 hours and 0 minutes
Core/Strength: 0 hours and 30 minutes
Total Workout: 9 hours and 0 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment