Thursday, December 3, 2009

Holy [insert expletive here]! How did I do that?!

I just got home from the pool and needed to write this down.

So all day at work today, I had been shaking in my boots (literally, I just bought a stylin' new pair ~ which I probably should not have worn after the spin and run workouts this week. leg cramps like crazy) -- over today's swim marker. Tonight we were scheduled to do a timed 800 yard swim. No stopping, no drinking water. Just straight swimming. Not only have I never done this before, but timed?

Coach Mike was generous enough to meet Phil, Tiffany & I in San Ramon tonight to watch our technique and give us that IronSupport we know and love. But I just couldn't shake the nerves. Both Phil and Tiffany are far more experienced swimmers than I, so I had to divert all instincts to compare my pace or speed with theirs (much less power) and just focus. But what if I got tired? What if I HAD to stop right in the middle of the marker? I was plagued with doubt but just told myself it had to be done.

A few drills in and already a little winded, Coach Mike pointed out something to me. An epiphany, really: I breathe every fourth stroke. FOUR? This whole time I thought it was three, and that it was somehow more efficient. He told me if it worked for me and I felt I was getting enough air, then to stick with it. He also made a few other suggestions to tweak my stroke and get my arms in the water earlier than I had been. So a few more drills, and here came the 800 yd piece.

Off I went. Similar to my long runs and marathons, I tried to really pace myself and start out slow. But my adrenaline was shooting in all different directions and I had all these numbers in my head. Somewhere in between laps 5-8 (they now are a blur to me of course) it dawned on me. What if I tried breathing every two strokes? I mean, it might throw off my usual stroke and I could be all over the place. But why not try it?

And just like magic, within those 32 laps, I singlehandedly changed my stroke -- breathing more often, and really finding a rhythm I could get used to, just like with running. I was gliding more smoothly, rotating regularly, and hello? Getting the oxygen I needed, and more often! I felt significantly less tired and exponentially more efficient. Now I know I've still got major things to work on, and definitely other things to tweak in terms of my stroke. But just the progress I saw and felt during those 32 continuous laps ~ and being able to say I did it AND feel awesome after the fact... well, I'm just speechless.

800 yd swim marker in 26:20 - check! Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. Maria...that is soooooooo AWESOME! I am so proud of you, that is a great time! What an awesome swim, you GO GIRL! WAHOOOOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO GREAT. The whole breathing thing is SO important. As you said - "Oxygen, who knew?" I have been switching it up and playing around with it, and I can go 4 strokes (e.g., breathe left, beat beat, breathe right) but not if I get into a cadence - then I like 2 beats (e.g., breathe left, beat, breathe left) and I switch it up so I know I'm breathing on both "sides." When I used to do triathlons, that was important because you want to keep your eye on the shore or "something besides" the open water - so you want to be able to breathe "both ways." But getting enough oxygen in is the key! I am feeling good in the pool, except for a once in a while all-out spazz of Fear. You rock!

    ReplyDelete