Tuesday, March 30, 2010

In need of a little inspiration...



When you find yourself Googling "Inspiration for Ironman Training", you know it's time to pull in the big boys, call out to the iron gods and ask for a little help & guidance.

I've recently had a few criticisms come my way (some constructive, others not so much), as well as a few naysayers who don't think I can do this.

Five months ago, I would've said HOLD your horses, give me some time; I'll get there. And right now, I'd likely still say -- just watch, wait, and see. Yet after being SAG'd forward on the bike portion of the Wildflower 1/2 Iron Course two weeks ago, due to missing the time-cutoff, I can't help but feel like I'm wavering a little on the confidence front. I'm logging in the time, putting forth the effort and focus, and still possess the same positive attitude that took me to two finish lines of a 26.2-mile marathon when just months before, didn't even run.

I know it's doable, and I know I can get there. I've got five more months of training and have developed a solid base upon which I can continue building from now until the end of August ~ thanks to my incredible Team of coaches, mentors, teammates, & honorees. As well as those of you who have been following me during this journey.

I've seen all the mental and physical progress I've made since November, leading up to today. But right now, what I could sure use is a boost. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get there. And right now the priority is to get stronger and faster on the bike.

My mid-season conference with my coaches this week assured me that my swim is looking good (which I intend to keep working at); and the run is my strongest sport of the three. But as of now, the bike is what's slowing me down the most and as far as immediate planning goes, I'm working on figuring out what my Lactate Threshold (LT) is and how I can work and train just under it, to maintain efficiency and speed. It'll be a quantitative way to ensure I'm working at my optimal fitness level, without going beyond my means.

If I've tagged you on this, it's because I know that you guys are in particular: rockstars at what you do. And you know my course: IM Louisville. Any insight, tips, encouragement or guidance you can provide would be so helpful.

And as for anyone else who's got a pearl of wisdom or two to share, feel free to bestow some of it below. This has been a truly humbling & rewarding experience for me ~ with moments and memories I've not once regretted. And as we start to ramp up for Part II and work on the build and race phases of our training, I'd love to continue training with that same zeal, vigor & sense of enjoyment I had for the first half :)

Thank you, all!
your aspiring Ironwoman,
Maria

7 comments:

  1. I'm definitely with you, sistah - I look forward to hearing what Pearls of Wisdom you get! :-) (Just posted my 'update' - and my fears - too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lady,

    I KNOW you can do this! I've seen you, completely thrown out of your element, not knowing which way is east, having 0 idea of where to find a toilet, and you came through. When you set your mind to something, you're going to do it.

    You are AMAZING and such an inspiration to me! I know sometimes it's really hard to feel like you're throwing all of yourself into something, and not really seeing the results you would like. But sometimes, you just have to believe that it will all work out and that winning the small battles all adds up. What you do is making a difference for so many people.

    I hope that this helps a little. If you need to talk, I'm always here. I am not so coherent right now, as doing has taxes has left me drained. Again, it's the little battles haha. I love ya Snicks!


    ~Kristopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria, there were maybe 5 or 6 times during the run portion of the CA Ironman I did this past weekend where I ended up walking because I couldn't run anymore. During that time of walking, the thought that kept running through my head was..."if this 1/2 iron distance is hard for you, then how the heck do you think you can do a full iron distance?" (aka vineman in July) Even after the race, I was still hesitant to say that I will do the full vineman in July. It was definitely not one of my greatest times of confidence in the sport. So I understand what you might be feeling.

    One thing that definitely works in gets me to refocus on my full ironman goal is to watch my Ford Hawaii Ironman Championship dvds! I actually bought the whole set from, I think, 1983 to now. Let me know if you want to borrow some. Seeing the different ages, abilities and dis-abilities of some of those people that have finished the race distance is inspiring to me.

    Another big thing that helps me refocus on training and getting better is my friends that either do a little running, a little biking or no physical exercise at all. They are inspired by me and what I do. So I take that as pressure on myself to perform well or else I won't just let myself down but I will let them down too. Some of them even post status updates on their facebook page saying that they are cheering me on during races. Now I really can't stop. I know it might be a lot of unnecessary pressure to put on myself but like they say...diamonds are just rocks that were put under extreme pressure!

    Those are two strategies I use to inspire myself back into training. I used those techniques today during my recovery run and now I would say I'm 95% sure about entering and completing the full vineman in July.

    I definitely believe you can complete the Ironman!...if you keep up your training now till the race. If you think about it, 17 hours is more that enough time for you to complete the race! Also, it sounds like you enjoy being outdoors so just think, you'll get to be outdoors for the whole day during the race! I think you have a great Ironwoman story going so far with your highs and lows. I would hate to see the story end before you even get to the starting line at IM Louisville...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rent this movie

    "fire on the track". Real life documentary about Steve Prefontaine. If that doesn't inspire you, dial 911 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mdot Maria, keep up the training and all the good work. Having the positive attitude that you always have and that smile on your face will get you through this and through your IronMan event. I've learned that the mental part of these endurance events is the biggest part. You keep your wits, you focus and you will get through it. You are doing the training and that's all "money in the bank" that you will withdraw on race day. Those that question you or say negative things say them because well they are jealous and can't do what you are doing. Keep it up girl! Bk

    ReplyDelete
  6. M-Dot, I have two things to say to you; Bumblebees & Racehorses! Ok, let me explain.
    Years ago NASA decided to do an extensive study of the bumblebee so that they could apply some of the bumblebee's flight secrets to space flight. The scientists hypothesized, scrutinized, examined, measured, dissected, debated, quantified, observed, filmed, and timed the insects. After many weeks of study, the scientists came up with the following conclusion: Bumblebees are not capable of flight.
    THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT SKILL YOU CAN DEVELOP IN YOUR IRONMAN TRAINING IS BELIEVING IN YOURSELF AND YOUR CAPACITY TO SUCCEED! Henry Ford said, "if you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right". Regardless of what the scientists say, the bumblebee thinks it can fly. Be the bumblebee! No matter how many people tell you you can't, remember that your success, in triathlon as well as in life, is in your hands - not theirs.
    Next, consider the racehorse (very fitting since you're going to Louisville). Racehorse physiology is very similar to human physiology, and they are trained very similar to human runners. Racehorse trainers use heart rate monitors, intervals, Threshold training, follow periodization plans, and feed a diet designed to enhance the horses performance.
    However, psychologically, racehorses and endurance athletes tend to differ greatly. Racehorses never question their training program. They never wonder if their training program is enough, or maybe that they should get in some extra work just for insurance. They don't worry and dwell on a poor performance. Stable life goes on. On race day, they get just as nervous at the start as their human counterparts, but they don't compare themselves with the other horses.
    There will always be plenty of people out there who will tell you why you can't; they will even have "proof" why you can't. Sara Reinertsen didn't listen to them ( http://www.youtube.com/user/IronmanTriathlon#p/c/12431359D3D527B7/6/-qMz0QwyqPw ), Dick and Rick Hoyt never listened to them ( http://www.youtube.com/user/IronmanTriathlon#p/c/12431359D3D527B7/12/rPLCaAu_H2U ), Jon "Blazeman" Blais didn't listen to them ( http://www.youtube.com/user/IronmanTriathlon#p/c/12431359D3D527B7/10/9Vrjp2P0GlE ), and you won't listen to them either!
    M-Dot, think like a bumblebee and train like a racehorse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, first off, this isn't easy. We have gotten half way to iron, and I STILL can't conceptualize completing a full. It's like looking up a mountain for me. I still can't see the peak. But I plug away. And so do you! We all do, as a team.

    I'm no coach, but wouldn't the answer be obvious? Concentrate on your weakest link. You can run. Now you can swim. Maybe put more effort into the bike in the next few months?

    Adjust to the situation. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete