Monday, April 5, 2010

Grateful, Inspired & Ready to Ramp it Up



Well firstly, let me just thank each and every one of you who reached out, took the time to write, call, and bring me some cheer over the last couple weeks. You all know who you are, and I appreciate you very much. I had a couple bouts with doubt and felt a little strained mentally and emotionally -- I had recently heard about a loved one, who was diagnosed with cancer, just before Wildflower Training Weekend, and it really shook my world. Thankfully [I guess you could say] it's just about the best case scenario she could have, given the circumstance. It's a non-invasive type of breast cancer. But despite the odds and good statistics in her favor, I know her well, and I know she's scared. She puts on a strong face because it's in her nature to, but deep down, I know there's more to it than that.

I've spoken to her nearly every day over the last two weeks, and just want to be there to listen to her voice her concerns, and support her in whatever way I can. To my surprise (she's someone who never really got why I keep signing up for one endurance race after another, pushing my limits and am basically hooked on swimming, biking, running, and being so active), she's now starting to grasp my dedication and commitment to all this. It's not just about physically going the distance. It's not for the bragging rights. For me personally, this was always about growth. Growth as a person, expanding my view of what I think is possible, and attempting (in my own small way) to put myself in the shoes of others going through something much tougher, and dealing with adversity in a much bigger way. And as fate would have it, this brings me full circle.

So I've been fortunate enough to get more informed on the situation at hand, and will continue to keep the communication and dialogue open with her. And in the meantime, it's only fueled me to keep going. I'm a little more at peace with it and can only send my good thoughts and prayers for her to stay strong, be brave, and make sure she knows she's not alone.

So as you can imagine, the personal stuff (along with work getting hectic, after being ridiculously short-handed with my colleagues in and out of the office), it's taken a bit of a toll on my training psyche. However ~ with a brand new week, a phenomenal chunk of your generous change donated to the cause after the weekend, and all your incredible pearls of wisdom, I'm inspired to just move right along with a great new outlook.

As one of you wise ones said, "The development of the Iron athlete begins with the development of the individual. Successful racing requires a certain level of maturity: knowing your strengths and your weaknesses, recognizing your limiting factors and respecting the magnitude of the race."

Others have told me to focus more attention on the bike without fear or worry about comparing myself to others. Some of you have reminded me that this is NOT the first time I've thrown myself into unfamiliar circumstances or out of my comfort zone. And another key reminder many of you have given me is to continue believing in myself.

All of these messages are true gems and they're all going in my back pocket to pull out on future tough days ahead, and certainly on Race Day.

And now, my training updates:

- I've acquired my Lactic Threshold (LT) for the bike, which is 169. This means that for the time-being, I will be training at varied heart rate zones, centered around this number, to improve my fitness and intensity level when riding. Basically, it's to make sure I'm not sandbagging and it'll make me aware just how much harder I can push it on the bike, instead of holding back.

- Since my LT test, I've done two solid trainer workouts at a steady heart rate (HR) of 155 and I can already tell it will pay dividends in the long run (or ride, if you will). I've also been throwing in short intervals at a 165 HR. As soon as it sneaks up to 170 (beyond my threshold) I'm careful to bring it back down and not go overboard. Can't wait to see how all this translates over to my performance out on the road.

- I'm in a bit of a deficit with swimming (I've really missed it), as a result of putting in more bike workouts into my schedule, and due to general life happenings (Easter weekend, and a 2-hour deep tissue massage during Recovery Week). But I'm excited to get back into the swing (and stroke) of things this week. Speaking of which...

It's time for our second installment of Boot Camp! It's true: we're back at it again this weekend, and I'm looking forward to seeing and training with my teammates for an extended coached workout (at Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton this Saturday, and Gunderson High School in San Jose on Sunday). We will be doing three continuous, back-to-back Sprint Tris on Saturday, just to give you a sneak peek.

So all in all, I think today's blog title encapsulates it all. I've been through a bit of the wringer, but have come out strong, and ready to get back into the Iron action and get'er done! Thanks, everyone, for all your encouragement & support.

***
Week #20 Workout Summary: [Recovery Week]

Swim: 0 hours and 0 minutes
Bike: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Run: 0 hours and 0 minutes
Core/Strength: 0 hours and 30 minutes
Total Workout: 3 hours and 0 minutes

***
Week #21 Workout Summary:

Swim: 0 hours and 0 minutes
Bike: 3 hours and 0 minutes
Run: 0 hours and 0 minutes
Core/Strength: 0 hours and 30 minutes
Total Workout: 3 hours and 30 minutes

My Fundraising Progress to Date: $7,790

No comments:

Post a Comment