Thursday, March 11, 2010

I love nights like tonight!

Just checking in mid-week. I have to say -- I swear by the occasional "normal Saturday". The series of evening workouts this week I've had, have been phenomenal. And I rarely use that word unless I mean it! Not only had I been looking forward to each training day (well, tonight brought a little hesitation getting my rear in gear to the pool for a solo lap swim) ~ but I had top-notch 110% quality workouts these last few days and I really enjoyed them.

Tuesday - I was finally able to make it to the Walnut Creek Sports Basement Spin (and traditional sushi extravaganza post-workout). We had some tough speed intervals... at one point having to maintain a cadence of over 95 rpm, then 'recover' at 80-85 rpm. I powered through and once those electrolytes and carbs were coursing through me, I just went for it, chose some harder gears and impressed myself by not just completing the sets, but feeling amazing afterward. Of course, it helped to spin two bikes down from Head Coach Dave, who strategically planted himself in the middle of the crowd. But I just felt powerful and strong, two words I never thought I'd use to describe myself on the bike.



Wednesday - Followed up with another spin session at Sports Basement with Team Shadow. In this photo with Belinda (currently training for her second Ironman and first Death Ride cycling event), and Anna, I'm cycling in some much harder gears yet beaming because I'm truly having a great time. Team Shadow Coach, Paul, had us do longer sets in 'the big ring' and try to maintain a cadence of about 55-60 rpm. It really gave me a sense (mentally and physically) of what it's like to climb steeper and longer [distance] hills. Something I'll surely need for this weekend's Metric Century Ride. Again, powered through, and didn't feel drained by the end. As I said after both consecutive nights of spin -- they were hard, but a good kind of hard. (easy there, to you one-track minded folk. I know how that sounds, but if you were in my shoes, and I mean bike shoes, you would know exactly what I mean!)

And finally tonight, Thursday - A culmination of all three nights of hard work. These are the nights that make it all worth it. These are the nights that give me that sense of fulfillment, joy, pride and reassurance that I'm doing something I truly enjoy.

A swim! On tap, we had a 2500 yd workout where we would have to time 15 sets of 100 yds and record each one. I knew it wouldn't be easy, and it's been over a week since I've swam. But I was a woman determined. Determined to put some real power in my stroke and keep it as consistent as I possibly could. To not only make my swim coach, Sedonia, proud -- but really, for myself. To see what I could do. I shot a 2x caffeine Gu (my new secret weapon - jet blackberry is the way to go) prior to getting into the pool and starting my drills. And just after warming up -- I began the set. At first, I felt like I went out too fast; I could feel my heart racing and I knew the second 100 yd piece would require me to take it down a notch. You have to keep in mind that when I first started out in November, my average time for 100 yds was 2:23. Here were my times tonight:

1- 2:00
2- 2:07
3- 2:05
4- 2:05
5- 2:06
6- 2:01
7- 2:01
8- 1:59
9- 2:01
10- 1:58
11- 2:05
12- 1:59
13- 1:59
14- 1:55
15- 1:52

Negative splits, baby. I just couldn't happier. As I said, I swear by the occasional "normal Saturday". The proof is in the pudding. And to see that kind of improvement (despite taking a break every now and then to recharge, and coming right back strong and ready) just makes all the hard work, exerted time and energy and yes, even some of the blood, sweat and tears, all the more worth it. **and on a particularly humble note, thank you to all my friends and family who are continually so understanding and forgiving of each time I say "I can't tonight," or "I'm busy," or when it seems like training for this thing is all I ever talk about. I think of so many of you (especially those I haven't seen in weeks or months!) often. And would you believe -- even as I swim lap after lap in the pool. As I climb the hills on the bike. You are constantly in my thoughts and I thank you for your unending support and encouragement.

Off to get some dinner and sleep and gear up for Aquatic Park in two days!

No comments:

Post a Comment