Tuesday, July 6, 2010

R, R & R: Riding, Running & Rest

The past week was devoted to a few priorities I had put aside for the majority of the training season: Career Goals; Family; & Rest.

Last Tuesday, I set aside my usual Mount Diablo North Side Hill Climb ~ to attend an info meeting at my alma mater, Saint Mary's College, to further research whether a Master's degree is in my future. It's still an ongoing discussion (with myself, and a few mentors), but I can definitely say it was like a breath of fresh air getting back on campus, reminiscing on some of the most memorable years of my life, and getting to speak with and learn from some such highly educated, motivating, encouraging individuals. I enjoyed the opportunity of meeting and discussing some new potential career and educational goals in addition to the athletic pursuits I've had my eye on over the last eight months (and a year before that!).



Wednesday, I co-spearheaded a bike ride with Honoree Captain Liz and Carol to venture over to the South Side of Mount Diablo for the first time. Liz was so kind to guide us over from her neck of the woods to the South Gate. We rode along Blackhawk Road, up to the Athenian School (reminiscent of our Tour of the East Bay Alps ride). From there, we rode through some pitted and potholed areas of the road to reach the entrance to the park. Avoiding the cyclists flying down the left side of the hill, we climbed. Although it was the same mountain Carol and I are normally used to, we had to wonder what would be in store for us on the south side. It's sure got its charm! We noticed there were steeper pitches throughout the climb; however, more areas that flattened out in between the climbs. I felt really good going in -- even the ride leading up to the gate had a number of mini-peaks and valleys, but I felt strong. The early evening had its windy moments, but getting our heart rates up kept us balanced and warm. I went Garmin-less this time as well, solely going off the feel, or my rate of perceived exertion (RPE) to get me through. It was just great being able to enjoy the ride for the mere sake of enjoying it -- not strapped to any numbers or data.

Liz showed Carol and I some good tips on pedaling through the downhills in preparation for the next roller. I normally pedal on descents, but this time, Liz shared her secret of really powering through and pedaling as hard as you can (even adding a gear if need be), in order for it to take you up (almost even halfway up) the next hill. Something I'll definitely practice some more for the Louisville bike course.

As the sun started to set, we continued to climb. At the turnaround (per Liz's call, at about 40 mins into the ride), I still felt strong ~ which was a great sign, because I know I had been working hard that whole ride. The descent had its fun moments, as well as its scary ones (tight corners, massive potholes at the bottom, high speeds, and close calls with cars). And then there were a few small climbs still on the way back. But it was smooth sailing, and a few rollers, back to Blackhawk. I left Danville feeling proud, accomplished and strong. Liz and Carol kept me great company and I am so thankful to them!

Thursday, I was on a plane, headed south for the weekend. I was really looking forward to a little getaway ~ to see my parents and brother in San Diego for the 4th of July. I'll say... I got more rest and sleep than I knew I even needed during my extended holiday weekend. I just found myself taking deep power naps throughout the day, and felt a little groggy overall. My dad reminded me that it's probably been months since I've just sat and not done anything -- since I'm always on the run or out the door to and from training. The need for real rest caught up to me and I was so grateful to have the downtime I got. My parents' new condo in downtown San Diego was a real haven for this tired body.



Bright 'n early (7 a.m.) on Saturday morning, I had the pleasure of meeting up with Marina for a run along the harbor. We coordinated schedules since we both planned to be in SD for the weekend; so we took advantage of the IronTeam contingent of 2 and headed out to complete... wait for it... our 16-mile run! I can say without a single doubt, that there is no way I would have had the motivation to complete even half of this by myself that early on a Saturday morning during a holiday weekend. So thank you, Marina!

We started out at the USS Midway and made our way over to Seaport Village. From there, we went on past the Convention Center, the Hyatt, Hilton and PETCO Park. Upon reaching Pacific Highway again, we headed out for a long stretch along the water, which was gorgeous! A little overcast, but just the right temparature for our long run. We did a nice run/walk of 4:1 and enjoyed the sights while keeping each other's pace in check.

The funny thing about our self-mapped "run course" was that we'd hit a number of dead-ends. I told Marina I felt like Forrest Gump, reaching the pier and saying, "Well, I think I'll just turn around and go home now." But we'd find another way to get back to our run along the water -- which took us all the way out past the San Diego Airport, through Point Loma and over to Shelter Island. We saw some fun resorts, beautiful artwork and fountains among the parks and really enjoyed our time outside. It was great to have each other as company along the way, and even reviewed our race and nutrition plans (Marina's race is in about four weeks!). We felt strong afterwards and neither of us remotely had the look of 'worn-out' or exhausted after 3 hours of running. Thank you, run/walk!

We improvised post-run and hit the local 7-11 for chocolate milk/protein recovery drinks. We felt proud and super accomplished by morning's end, and wished each other well before returning to our Independence Day Weekend plans.





The remainder of my stint down in SD was filled with lots of quality time with my family. I put away the phone, turned off the internet (Facebook and e-mail) and soaked up as much of my vacation as I could. I also went to support a loved one during her second to last radiation therapy treatment to fight off her remaining cancer cells. It truly drove home the reminder and importance of what it is we're doing with Team in Training. Which brings me to...

CONNECTING WITH THE CAUSE

Last week, our Team Manager, Merla, wrote us the following story from one of IronTeam 2011's newest registrants:

My family (mom, dad and I) were and always will be so eternally grateful to LLS and TNT. When my dad was approved for the transplant we needed to fund the donor search ourselves. It cost close to $37K. We were short about $3700. The donor co-coordinator for the Seattle Cancer Center with the Hutchinson Center appealed to LLS for the remaining funds. LLS sent a check to cover the balance for the search. My dad's donor was found in Western Europe and he was transplanted the night of Dec 9th, 2009.

I read this brief story and in the back of my mind, I knew who this person was. The details of her story just sounded too familiar to forget. To protect her anonymity, I'll just say she was someone I had the privilege of training with and running my first marathon with back in March 2009 (so, we were in Rome together!). She has been and continues to be exceptionally dedicated to the Cause and her training, and I am so glad she decided to get on board with IronTeam next season.

Tragically, her father lost his battle with blood cancer on May 21st this year - which touches me deeply. However, because of the dollars we have raised together, he was able to spend 5 more months with his family. Time is something that we can never get back. It truly is so precious and limited. And that is something you and your generous hearts have given this family. So on behalf of Team in Training, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and all others training for their endurance races and continuing to raise funds and awareness for the Cause -- I thank you.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend with those near and dear to you. It's funny how family members, friends, and loved ones (quirks 'n all) can sometimes get on our nerves, push our buttons and sometimes annoy us to no end! But it's in these moments that we're together that we should cherish the time we have. Support one another in our endeavors to become better people and help others. And most of all, appreciate one another for the unique gifts and talents we each have to offer throughout our lifetime.

On to Power Week! Stay tuned for the details (including my second Century Ride, coming up this Saturday)!

***
Week #34 Workout Summary:

Swim: 0 hours and 0 minutes
Bike: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Run: 3 hours and 0 minutes
Core/Strength: 0 hours and 30 minutes
Total Workout: 5 hours and 0 minutes

My Fundraising Progress to Date: $9,191

No comments:

Post a Comment