Monday, June 28, 2010

The 2X (Double) BRICK!

It's been a lengthy, workout-filled week, but I had to title this one with the pinnacle -- our Sunday training day. But I'll backtrack first to the weekdays' events:



Tuesday, I was headed back to the mountain (see map to the left) for a long 1:30 hill workout. We departed Sports Basement in Walnut Creek and were instructed to ride for 70 minutes before the turnaround. Which meant -- yes! I climbed my farthest distance and highest climb to date up Mount Diablo! The remarkable thing was though it was challenging (and hot; even after 7 p.m., the warmth didn't let up), it wasn't particularly HARD or painful. I found myself on a number of occasions climbing, pushing, sweating, but not having nearly as much trouble or anxiety as I had on previous hill climbs of the season. At one point, I even passed a non-IronTeam cyclist on the road who said, "Boy, you're really cookin' up these hills!" I responded saying We all are -- especially under this sun! He was impressed by our Team's willingness to keep on climbing. Reaching my personal turnaround, just two turns shy of the Junction gave me a huge boost in confidence and I felt really proud of myself. And despite some inital apprehension about the descent (with winding turns and steep pitches), I recalled the lessons I had learned in previous descending with Captain Tony and Coach Dave, and summoned up the courage to take the downhill, countersteer, and 'feather my brakes' whenever necessary. I did it! Most fulfilling trip up and down Diablo yet.

Thursday, I paid a little visit to the Cal High Olympic Pool in San Ramon, which to my surprise, I hadn't been to in over a month! It didn't take me long during my warmup in the pool to notice how much stronger open water swimming has made me. I just felt like a different swimmer. Phil and I split a lane and as he came barreling through in the opposite direction, I took the opportunities as often as I could to get really close and keep swimming and not break stroke -- somewhat of a practice for my race start. Of course, people (hopefully) won't be swimming in the opposite direction of me :)

Friday, I went for a light trail run at Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton after work. It was a little revenge of the gnats by early evening, and I decided to keep it short and save my legs for the weekend.

Saturday was another treat, getting up at about 8 a.m. to meet the ladies (Kristie, Tiffany, Liz and Jen Jay) at Shadow Cliffs again for a refreshing open water swim. It was originally supposed to be a one-hour swim (so 30 mins out and back), but we chose to do the "triangle route" in the lake, and check in and regroup at each of the points to make sure we were altogether -- so the whole thing took us about 1:20. Kristie and Tiff jetted off toward the cove, Liz found her groove over to the right of the lake, and I ~ once again, went wetsuitless! It's actually fun (and I like not having to fuss with cinching [and pinching] up all that neoprene against my skin). It's just perfect for summer mornings and the water temperature was cool but comfortable. The first stretch to the cove took me awhile. And I even distinctly remember standing on the shore saying to Kristie as she pointed our direction, "Ohhh that's far!" But I made it to the rocks and edge of the cove, just a couple minutes after Liz got there. Our next point followed the rock edges, so it was pretty easy to sight, as long as you didn't get too close. I took the opportunity to practice drafting, so I followed Liz's toes the whole way to point #2. And when we reached the third and final point of the triangle ~ I had actually completed nearly 2 miles! 2 miles minus a wetsuit. Again, never thought I'd see the day. And I felt fantastic. Joined Liz afterwards for some coffee and to hear her race report from her Ironman in Louisville in 2008. After a shower, I met Coach Mike for a bike tune-up and to go over my race plan for the big day.

And now -- on to Sunday. Sunday was a day many of us were anticipating all season long, particularly everyone on the Team racing at Vineman on July 31st. It was actually their last long workout (a 3X BRICK) before they taper. Meanwhile, the Canada/Louisville Crew (with our race almost a full month after Vineman) had a double or "2X BRICK" on schedule. This workout was specifically focused on time instead of distance. So we had to do a 2-hour bike ride, followed by a 1-hour run. With a rapid-fast transition in between each time. Then repeat a second or third time.

We all met up at the Yountville City Park, tucked away in quaint Yountville, just a hop, skip & a jump from neighboring towns St. Helena and Napa. The weather was already warming up, so by 8 a.m. we were all donning our sleeveless IronTeam jerseys and heading out for the open road. I had a few glitches with my front brake rubbing up against my wheel, but Coach Mike helped me fix it. I had to stop a couple times early into the ride, but once we resolved the issue -- I was on my merry way. The first 5 miles were relatively flat so it was great to get up in the big ring and push my way (and heart rate) up to where I wanted to be.

In my prior meeting with Coach Mike, we discussed the average speed I'll need to hold in order to make the bike cutoffs at Louisville. [Now for you experienced cyclists, don't laugh... because I'm going to talk data for a moment, and I know these times and numbers are going to make you smile.] As many of you (ok, all!) know, I basically didn't ride a bike before any of this. Yes, I could literally hop on two wheels and pedal my way through, but as far as balancing, handling, clipless riding, traffic conditions and all the complexities that make up the sport of cycling -- I was but a mere infant to the world of bike riding. My first bike marker (which consisted of me just wanting to make it through and complete the distance) put me at an average speed of 10 mph. I was proud of this number back in December, because it meant that I stayed on the bike without falling off for a whole hour. And I still look back on that day with utter pride and accomplishment :) Because not long before that, I was still falling off repeatedly.

And yet, I knew there was still much work to be done. I hadn't even let myself get stressed out or panicked about where I need to be for Louisville. I've just been working away, making sure I put in 110% into my workouts, and have even been forfeiting a number of run workouts for the bike all season long. I've had a handful of successes come my way, as well as a few setbacks. But I just keep on going and keep my eye on the prize.

With that said, Mike told me I need to be at an average of 13.5 mph for both sections of the bike ride at Louisville. 13.5 mph is a huge jump and over 30% of an increase from where I started at 10 mph back in December. Now I had known I've been gradually improving, but when he told me this number, I couldn't help but question (and doubt, just a little) that I could do it. He told me to do my best and try and get up to an average speed of 13.5 for both bike rides in our 2x brick.

So keeping all this in mind yesterday, I pushed. I pushed myself and tried to keep my heart rate in check. When it would sky-rocket, I'd talk to myself and say you can bring it down; just keep it right at 155. 155 beats per minute is right about at the middle of Zone 3 of my heart rate training zone. Basically, if I try and keep my workouts here (which is sort of the equivalent of my tempo pace in running), I ideally optimize my strength and efficiency without nearing too close to my lactate threshold.



After a stint through the vineyards, we found ourselves in a backroad of Napa, which was luckily shaded, but filled with all sorts of fun climbs :) It brought down my speed of course, but upped my heart rate. I tried to slow it back down and just take my time without panicking or getting anxious (in retrospect, I think this is why hills used to scare me so much in the beginning of the season -- my heart rate would spike, I'd work up a huge sweat and frenzy in my mind, and would then associate hills with freaking out). Which doesn't always have to be the case! As long as you are aware of your heart rate and where you want it to be, it can be a great tool to help you through the hill.

After the turnaround were some great descends -- fun ones, that I got to pedal through and take advantage of what Coach Sedonia refers to as "free speed" :) There was one pretty steep climb on the way back, but once I got through it, it was smooth sailing and the return to the 5-mile flat zone, where I got into the aero bars and sped on through. Phil caught up to me in the final miles, and it was actually the first time I had gotten to see him during a bike ride (since he's usually up with the fast crew). The timing just worked out that way, so I used him as my "carrot" to pull me back to the park. Completed over 24 miles in 1:49.



My hydration was great too, as the day really started to heat up. The Team always laughs at how big my aero bottle is, but I had successfully drank almost 50 oz. of water during the 2-hour bike ride. And my usual Gatorade/Carbo-Pro calorie intake of 200 calories per hour worked great. However, I noticed that I neglected my Endurolyte salt tablets and popped one at the first transition before the run.

At transition, I quickly changed from helmet to visor, swapped shoes, gloves-off / run Garmin on, and grabbed my water bottle, hitting the run course. I wasn't shy about taking more sips of water and already had a good sweat going. Before I got too excited, I remembered to heed Simon's warning to take it slow and start with my "IM Marathon" pace of 12:11 mins/mi (which I sped up a little, since I did a 4:1 run/walk). I was feeling G-O-O-D. The run course looked empty and I had to wonder whether I made a wrong turn somewhere. And then I saw a familiar face a half a mile later. It was Coach Simon! There he stood, under the hot sun, serving water and snacks! As I breezed by, he was quick to remind me that if I needed a bathroom, I had many to choose from outside :)



Shortly after running into Simon, I began to see more familiar faces -- which was truly a Godsend, because it rejuvenated my spirits and really kept me going. The day was getting really hot, which plays a real game with your head. You just have to remind yourself that the weather conditions (sun, humidity, heat, wind) are ALL a state of mind. As long as you have your nutrition (notably, WATER & SALT), it's just a matter of reminding yourself that your body has what it needs to get the job done. Haakon. Carolyn. Tony. BK. Jim. Chris. Phil. Rocky. Kristie. Sandy. Marina. Paula. One by one, I saw them all, and each time I became more and more inspired.

It's funny. I've seen all my teammates before, but it was just something about the day being that much more challenging with the heat (now, up in the high 80s by 11 a.m.), that when I'd see them -- I felt less alone in my journey and struggle. They were in it too, tackling it, with smiles on their faces (hah, well not ALL the time!) but it picked up my spirits and I felt that much more motivated and inspired. It was actually one of the more emotional training days... each of us coming from different directions, high-fiving each other, telling one another how strong we looked. And we just kept on going...

I negative split my first run and came in strong at 5 miles in 1 hour. Used the restroom, popped another salt tab and got back on the bike. [Special thanks to the Yoshidas for manning such an excellent transition zone and topping off our bottles!]



Now that I was truly warmed up (in all senses of the term), I wanted to go at it strong again -- knowing this would be my last bike ride of the day, but also wanted to save my legs for the run. It's a very complex balance to try and find, but deep down -- I knew my priority was to kill it on the bike. I started out slow and kept my speed in line as I trailed Kathryn, Tiffany, Melissa and Dana. But once we reached the vineyards, I bumped up my cadence and geared up to follow Les and Jen ~ who are great leaders for a draft. They're consistent, smooth, and helped keep me honest. At the aid station, they stopped and pulled over, so I was on my own for the climbs. I knew Sandy wasn't too far up ahead of me, so I tried to find her. She booked it up the hills, so I didn't see her again, but this was now my time to focus on my own climbing and watch that heart rate. On and on I went... and to my delight -- I surpassed my distance from the previous ride! A farther distance, and another negative split back to transition! I gunned it on the way back, now with even more time in the aero bars, sipping away on my carbs and water. I felt awesome! And right around the part of the course where Phil caught up to me during the first ride, this time, it was Rocky! Again, it was great to ride for a little while with some of the faster cyclists ~ not because I was necessarily keeping up or matching their speed (not yet at least!), but so I could watch how they cycle. Observe their cadence, form and what they look like when they ride. We brought it home and I was back at transition, feeling really confident about that second ride but a little weakened by the heat. Completed just over 25 miles in 1:50.



Another restroom stop before the run and off I went for the run course again. I brought a 2x caffeine Gu with me, but didn't want any more calories for the time being (I had finished my 800-calorie bottle of nutrition after the 2nd bike) and was feeling pretty full. But I put more and more water down the hatch, as I knew I was losing plenty of it as the day progressed. I think I had maybe taken only 3-4 Endurolytes by the second run, which would bring me some new insights later. Not even 5 minutes into the run, I got the hiccups and also a side-stitch. Before I got too excited again and let my heart rate rise, I decided to let my stomach and lungs calm down and slowed to a walk. The hiccups persisted. I continued to drink water, but more slowly and less frequently. I was feeling less energized now and would have much preferred to walk the rest of the way, but as my Garmin would beep to remind me to run, I did what I could. By the time I reached Simon's water stop again, the hiccups were gone and I concluded that perhaps they were a result of being a little hunched over in my aero position on the bike, not allowing me to breathe as normally as I'm used to, then busting out on the run, changing my breathing pattern all over again. I didn't want to leave the water stop, because I knew there was quite a distance ahead of me. But I did and tried to pick it up whenever I could in order to make up for the longer walk intervals I had done in the beginning of the second run.

I saw Rocky again (and actually, the same order of teammates prior -- Haakon, Carolyn, Tony, BK, Jim, Chris, Kristie, Sandy, Marina, Paula). And though they still brought me that same sense of inspiration, my energy levels were just dwindling under the heat. It was now 95 degrees and with limited shade or wind to give us any relief. I was feeling sluggish and (although not hopeless or angry, as in other training days under the sun), without the push I needed and wanted. Honoree Laura had occasionally passed by in the SAG Vehicle, asking if I needed anything, which was a great reality check though to have her there. But after she passed, I was by myself and felt a headache coming on. I had the want and desire to keep going, but it just felt much harder. And no amount of calories or water was going to do it for me. Although I continued to take in more water from my handheld bottle. After run/walking my way (to my own set intervals, a.k.a. 'whenever I could muster up the energy' - which I imagine will be a similar case for the marathon in the Ironman), I reached Simon's water stop again. I knew this was the home stretch. But I also knew there was no more shade after that. We were now reaching the high 90s, and even hit 100 degrees on the blacktop at one point. Sandy and Marina caught up to and passed me on their run/walk. I thought, whatever shuffle I could do, do it -- just keep moving forward.

Soon after, Coach Sedonia found us -- the cluster of me, Sandy and Marina, all a few feet apart from each other. Sedonia ran one 4-minute interval with me, which was GREAT. My shuffle of 12-13 mins/mi turned into 11 mins/mi, which was a good jump in pace for me, given the conditions. She held back after that interval to run with Sandy and Marina, leaving me on my own to finish the run.

I soon reached the the final corner of the road leading to the park, my head still aching. I looked back at Sandy and recall saying -- "Here's that point. It's so interesting when you feel like you have nothing left, but when you can see the finish, you find that reserve. I found mine! Let's finish this strong, Sandy!" I promptly got myself into the zone and finished out the last 0.25 mile stretch at a 9 mins/mi pace. Completing a slightly shorter distance of 4.5 miles in 1 hour.

I finished the double brick strong, despite the slight nausea and headache in the final hour. I went to go change to dry clothes, only to realize I was much more soaked with sweat than I thought. It was great I took in all that water -- but I later learned that I was deficient in salt. Which was kind of a no-brainer when I realized how few salt tablets I took throughout the day. The headache was nothing super painful, just lingering. It subsided in about an hour, after taking in my recovery drink, a cold original Coca-Cola (the first one I've had in years), and half a turkey sandwich from the renowned Genova Delicatessen in Napa - thanks, Sedonia!

I hung around to watch more of my studly teammates finish out the final brick under the blazing sun and had to hand it to them for their persistence, determination and spirit to keep on going.

Unfortunately, we had a few teammates experience heat exhaustion. If it weren't sprinkled enough throughout my description, the day and heat were brutal ~ and although our spirits and energy were intact for much of the day, there were a few brave souls who found themselves sick and lost all their nutrition (I won't get graphic); others who cramped up severely and couldn't finish the third ride; some came down with heat rash; others who literally stopped sweating and some who felt chilled upon getting back to transition in the 95+ degree heat. They were WISE to stop their day early and just sit down, take it easy, and let their bodies and auto-immune processes take effect. There were some valuable lessons learned overall among everyone about their individual nutrition plans and what needs to be adjusted, to adapt to the weather conditions. And for me, it was more salt intake. But I'm happy to say my calories and water were just right! I'll probably take some more caffeine + a dose of ibuprofin with me in the future.

If I hadn't said it enough, I walked away from the day feeling proud, accomplished and truly inspired by my teammates. There's just no other way to say it. The day would not have been nearly as successful or fulfilling without my teammates, coaches, captains & mentors to share the struggles, setbacks, and victories with. Our volunteers and SAG Support (Meenu, Laura, Jen & Merla), coaches out on the Course (Mike on the Bike, Simon at the Water Stop & Sedonia on the Run Course) ~ as well as Dave (back from knee surgery, who provided encouraging words each time we reached transition) made this all possible.





And to add to the good news, I've posted below my bike times from the bricks. Thanks to Coach Mike's handy-dandy Garmin Forerunner 305, he was able to upload my splits and data. My main goal was to up my speed to an average of 13.5 mph and keep my heart rate in Zone 3. However, to take the pressure off myself, I just relied on my heart rate and perceived rate of exertion to get me to where I needed to be. So I purposely avoided looking at my average speed. And to my own surprise: I hit the mark exactly.

Brick # 1
Average Speed – 13.5mph
Average Moving Speed – 14.2mph
Average HR - 146

Brick # 2
Average Speed – 13.5mph
Average Moving Speed – 13.8mph
Average HR – 155






***
Week #33 Workout Summary:

Swim: 3 hours and 0 minutes
Bike: 5 hours and 30 minutes
Run: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Core/Strength: 0 hours and 30 minutes
Total Workout: 11 hours and 30 minutes

IronTeam's Fundraising Progress to Date: $185,168
My Fundraising Progress to Date: $8,791

3 comments:

  1. who-hoo!!! That is just SO GREAT! I think I'm going to have to break down and ask for a Garmin for my birthday. That so rocks! You are so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. check you out! the girl I saw on the bike and chased me down on Sunday was definitely not the same girl who fell off the bike in Pleasanton. way to go m-dot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. You are really hitting your stride now. That was the toughest day that we have experienced to date, and instead of meandering through it, you turned it up a notch and pushed your way to your 13.5mph goal among other accomplishments. Well done! Thanks for sharing your smiles and showing your strength out there- it kept me going!

    ReplyDelete