Monday, July 19, 2010

Recovery Week, My Birthday & the Vineman Send-Off!



26. Someone once told me to commemorate each year and birthday with an activity or event centered around that number. Little did I know that upon looking into the number 26 -- I'd come to find that I would not only be doing a 26.2-mile marathon for my 26th year, but also, that 26 is the atomic number of a certain element: IRON. This opportunity to join IronTeam and (as my teammate Phil would say), tap into my undiscovered potential ~ could not have found me at a better time. I had been looking for an experience that would challenge, push and change me. One that would force me to take an inward look at myself and see that anything really IS possible and that I'm capable of so much more than the limits I always believed were there. And to my great fortune, all of those things have occurred throughout this journey. I set out to train for an Ironman to unveil a tougher version of myself, and that's exactly what has happened. So in and of itself, I've already found success in my experience. The rest, as I've said, is pure icing on the cake. I really couldn't ask for more.

The week started out great. And it ended on an even more fabulous note. As I took the train home from work on Monday afternoon, I rode by a view of the Castro Valley hills I had JUST climbed two days prior. Hills and mountains I had once feared were now something I could check off on my list of "To-Dos" -- well, more like "To-Conquers". And I was beside myself in amazement and truly felt fearless. There was just something about that East Bay Century (quite possibly one of the most difficult training days on our calendar this season) ~ and to finish and walk away from that ride feeling strong and with a giant smile on my face is just... well, more than I could have hoped for.

Tuesday, I met Kristie, Liz & Tiffany for a long-overdue open water swim at Shadow Cliffs. The arms were feeling a bit rusty as I had been focusing on riding and running the last few weeks. I hopped in sans wetsuit again for about an hour (which now equates to an average 1 mile-distance for me, in the water), going at an easy pace.

Open water swimming, versus the pool, keeps you honest, too. When you swim out a ways -- there's only one way you're getting back home :) Your arms work harder, as does your core. I've also adapted to a steady flutter kick, so I can save my leg muscles for what would be a bike and run afterward. My body has gotten used to trying to stay naturally buoyant without relying on a wetsuit -- which I know has made me stronger. Felt a little sluggish on that swim but put in the time and distance, so I didn't let it get me down.

After a failed attempt to hit the road for a bike ride on Wednesday (it took me nearly 2 hours to get home from SF, due to a major Bart train delay and some malfunctioning cars on my line), I missed the window to get a 40-min bike ride in with Liz and decided to use what time I had left in the evening to eat dinner, get some quality stretching in and head to bed early.

As for my Thursday, I was in for a treat. Not only did I give myself a shorter workday, but by 4 p.m. I was headed to meet one of my pro triathlete idols (and heartthrobs), Chris "Macca" McCormack. I had the fantastic opportunity to meet him briefly in May at the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon in SF. But this time, I got the chance to actually hear him speak about his career in the sport; his newly-founded charity supporting breast cancer research in honor of his late mother; and just get to know what he's like outside of triathlon. And what I CAN say, is he's amazing! Down to earth, funny, incredibly humble, and a wonderfully engaging speaker. Here are some of his tips, which he gave his audience as well as me, personally:

Macca's Words of Wisdom:

- Titles and times mean nothing. It's about your performance on race day.
- Be true to yourself and be the best you can be.
- Follow the guidelines of your nutrition plan, but be prepared to have them evolve, even at your race. Follow your instincts.
- Enjoy the challenge and experience of your Ironman race.
- If it feels really good, slow down! You're going too fast!
- Give the race and distance the respect they deserve.
- Be brave when you face your demons on race day. Find ways to turn them around and stay in the moment. After all, it's all about the war stories you tell after the Ironman :)



Friday was wonderful! I celebrated my birthday by getting a little pampering done in the morning. First-ever hot stone massage (ahh...) followed by a relaxing facial. My massage therapist was astonished to find out that my muscles weren't as tight and knotted up (a la pretzel) like most other marathoners and triathletes she's worked on in the past. When I told her about the frequency of my stretching, foam rolling and ice bathing, she felt compelled to give me a gold star :) Saw a few other friends for dinner, drinks and laughter and truly enjoyed the ringing in of another new year.

Up and outta bed at 5:00 a.m. Saturday morning and the East Bay Contingent was bound for Captain Tony's run in Alameda. Those headed to Vineman in a couple weeks had a taper run of 10-11 miles, while the rest of us training for IM Canada & IM Louisville knocked out 19 miles.



I started out the run at an easy pace with our team mascot, Belinda -- and it was great to catch up on her latest feat, The Death Ride. She had been debating cutting her run short since she's still recovering, so I kept on and finally got warmed up by mile 6. Hung in there a bit with both Captains Nick and Tony, keeping a steady 9:40 mins/mi pace (to compensate for my run/walk average) for a stretch along the shoreline.

The next few miles breezed by and soon I was greeted with a new running buddy at mile 10. Jessica, from the South Bay IronTeam, joined me and stuck with me for my run/walk intervals since she forgot her watch. By around miles 13-14, I hit a rough patch. My nutrition (of Shot Bloks, water & Thermolytes) had caught up to me and just sat in my tummy. I felt full and wanted to keep walking. Fortunately, Jessica's relaxed enthusiasm :) had me up the pace for the 4-min run intervals even to a light shuffle, just to get my body moving slightly faster than my walk pace. I suspect this will be my backup plan for race day: When I feel the onset of pain, cramping or nutrition overload, just break up the marathon into smaller pieces and even if it means bring it up to a light shuffle for 4 minutes, do it. Walk with purpose and don't stop. Just keep moving forward.

I had an emergency 2x caffeine Gu stashed in my pocket for such a moment as this. Despite being full, I knew I still needed to be taking in calories and so I thought shooting a gel (rather than something to chew or gulp down) might work. And sure enough, 20 minutes later, I found my 2nd or 3rd wind and took off! Jessica and I negative split our way to the finish, holding paces as good as 9:50-10:20 mins/mi during our run intervals back along the shoreline (which I was just told was UPHILL). No wonder my ankles hate me today.

I sprinted my way during the final yards and was greeted with another treat at the completion of 19 miles!



My Mentor, Michelle, was so thoughtful to bake me cupcakes which we all enjoyed alongside our recovery drinks before wrapping it up and calling it a day well before noon.



I enjoyed the rest of my leisurely afternoon with my feet up, and poolside with Michelle, Nate, Kathryn and Phil. We were all in disbelief that we were done with our training day so early and got to just hang out and chill in the shade with a few brews. Saturday evening was another birthday celebration with my TNT Brood of pals, hosted by my good friend, Megan. It was a great time and I felt so blessed to have so many driven, supportive, ambitious friends -- all of whom are currently training for their NEXT marathon or tri; or recovering from their last one :) Not to mention -- the table of 17 or so of us have collectively raised 10s of 1000s of dollars for the same cause. Warmed my heart :)

Sunday had a wake-up call of 5:30 a.m. [don't ask me how I do this either; because I have no idea] The East Bay carpool group was headed for Aquatic Park for an open water swim. It's been months since I've ventured out into the Bay, let alone swam in a wetsuit. I was feeling a little apprehensive, but was amazed to see how quickly that feeling went away once we got to the bleachers right outside Ghirardelli Square to suit up.



It was funny. It wasn't my first time there; but the whole place looked and felt different. Rather than feel that looming, overwhelming feeling of intimidation by the water temperature, the distance of open water, and my inexperience with swimming creep up ~ I was at complete peace. I put on my wetsuit, goggles & cap; stuck in the ear plugs; and made my way over to the shore. It was like my instincts just knew what to do. And that was, to swim. To focus, and not get caught up in fear, worry, apprehension or doubt. To just do it. And so I did.

I high-fived, laughed and shrieked (upon sticking my face in the frigid waters of the San Francisco Bay) with Liz, Melissa, Sedonia, Mike & Kathryn. But shortly after, I was off! What once scared and intimidated me, was now my play area. I swam all along the perimeter of Aquatic Park. Buoy to buoy. Even with Coach Mike swimming all around me, trying to psych me out and simulate the close swimming, feet, arms and other things that could get in my way for my race swim. I just kept on and swam through the flying arms and feet in my face. He'd tap or knock my toes from behind me, but I kept on, not getting too alarmed or excited. Just focused on forward motion. Although, the few times Mike would stop to give me some important advice, I just couldn't hold it in and broke out in laughter. I couldn't take him seriously with this swim cap on.



A few brief stops to get my bearings, sight a new landmark, or aim for a new buoy -- I swam for one hour and completed nearly 2 miles, according to Coach Dave. Man oh man. When did I become this swimmer?



As I deck-changed on the bleachers (another new skill I didn't always know!), there was a new Tri Team Season of TNTers sitting in a group next to us, watching us in action. Many of them had that look of fear, intimidation, and awe of us: These people with dark tans (with at least 3 visibly known tanlines); toned arms and legs; and look of focus and pride on their faces -- who have been training for 9 months and are in the final weeks of preparing for their Ironman events. I recognized that look of intimidation all too well and I smiled, because I was once in their shoes :)

After our swim, we headed over to the Presidio Sports Basement to prepare and Send-Off our triathletes bound for Vineman in less than 2 weeks! It's so exciting and I can't wait to see more than 50% of our Team participate in their first Ironman-distance race. We discussed logistics on their transition areas, special needs bags, race week preparation and hotel arrangements. Nutrition, course specifics, time cutoffs and everything else in between. We had a few snacks to nibble on, but I was chomping at the bit for a real meal (19-mi run was likely catching up to me), and there was a little toy/game section located behind our meeting spot, complete with a piano and at least 8 kids running around as their parents likely were shopping in the store. Needless to say, the antics behind us gave a little distraction, but then again, so did BK, Sara, Chris and Jim, who were all sitting right next to me :)

The countdown has begun for our Vineman teammates and I couldn't be more excited for and proud of them and all they've accomplished this season.

As for the "CAN/LOU" counterparts, we are headed toward one of our latest heavily-anticipated workouts of the season: Our 3X BRICK! That's a 30-mi bike ride and one hour run... x3! In what I can only imagine will be some record heat out in the East Bay. Please keep us all in your thoughts as we go out and do the damn thing (that's a Coach Al-ism)! If anyone is interested in volunteering at water stops or to be in one of our roving SAG vehicles, please message me ASAP! Our 3X Brick will be this Saturday, July 24 in Danville. All are welcome to come cheer, as well, as we could certainly use your smiling faces in the latter hours of the day. We estimate the whole day will take us about 10-11 hours to complete.

On to a brand new week! Thanks again, to ALL who made my birthday this year so memorable and special.

***
Week #36 Workout Summary: [Recovery Week]

Swim: 2 hours and 0 minutes
Bike: 0 hours and 0 minutes
Run: 4 hours and 0 minutes
Core/Strength: 0 hours and 30 minutes
Total Workout: 6 hours and 30 minutes

1 comment:

  1. great writeup! OK and that photo of Coach Mike is just the bomb! Love that Iron is 26 - I remember when we did the 1/2 Iron my friend Jason said that they should call that "Aluminum Man" b/c Aluminum is element 13. Ha! See ya Saturday - oy!

    ReplyDelete