Sunday, November 8, 2009

Kickoff Weekend!

It's been a jampacked weekend, but extremely fulfilling. We started off the Iron Season by gearing up for TNT Kickoff at Wheeler Hall on the UC Berkeley Campus. While it was a bummer to miss Game Day, I wouldn't have missed a second of my time inside the auditorium and classroom. After the various initiation / welcoming festivities, IronTeam stayed afterward to complete a 5-hour Iron University, which consisted of various instructionals by our Coaches, getting to know our Team, followed by some calisthenics and core exercises in between. A lot of my questions were answered, yet I still have that looming feeling of being anxious / excited...

After a quick bite in downtown Berkeley, we were about ready to hit the hay by 8 p.m. (something I think I'll inevitably need to get used to this season) But I can't wait to meet and train with my new Team:

...after 8 glorious hours of sleep Saturday night, it was time for a new day. Tiffany and I had our first joint fundraising event, a Garage Sale ~ with 100% of the proceeds going directly to LLS. We had a great turnout, combined with some much needed r&r and catching up with our teammates from the marathon team, while bringing in some major bucks for the charity. The weather was beautiful for it!

Took about a 10-minute powernap after cleaning up the Sale and geared up (no pun intended) for my first attempt at going clipless [riding my bike with the clip-in pedals and cleats], with Phil's help. No easy feat, mind you. I've been warned that I WILL fall. It's just not instinctual to clip-out at the 'right time' before coming to a complete stop, especially when you're just starting out. And despite any preparation or anticipation... I can say this: The first fall, I felt pretty bad-ass; I dusted myself off and got right back on. The second fall, I did feel the burn. And by the third fall... oh, the third fall... ego, leg, and other areas were surely bruised.


Nevertheless, just like my swim a few weeks back: Sometimes you'll fall, sometimes you'll get a little winded or discouraged. But tomorrow's a new day. You get back on and you try again. Which calls to mind one of Coach Dave's renowned -isms:

"We're not training for Plastic Man."

So with that said, I cleaned up, put on my running tights, and went for my first Iron Season run with Tiffany and Phil, completing a cool 4-miler in the brisk Pleasanton air. It was so good to go running again ~ my first time in about three weeks.

And now, after some much needed icing, I'm ready for bed. So as initially stated, jampacked but highly fulfilling :)

5 comments:

  1. dude, take the tension down on your clips. makes it way easier to clip out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Yas. I had the shop take the tension down all the way. I think it's just a matter of getting used to the motion and instinctively doing it at the right time. Unfortunately, very different on the road than my practicing on the trainer... I'll get there though! I'm determined!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CRAPOLA! I am not going to go clipless until I am COMPLETELY good with riding again. No way. I really hurt myself when I was clipless - of course, that was a billion years ago - and getting back into riding, just balancing, trying to shift gears, and all that jazz, no WAY I am adding clipless pedals. Maybe in 3-4 months, but NO WAY I am doing it now! I did mention that to Dave who basically told me to "man up," but I can't push off in the damned shoes (so I fall before I can get any speed up), and broke a bone at one point b/c of the damned things, so I AM Ms. Basket Clips On An Ancient Bike for the meanwhile!

    PS: Did you see the first bike ride is like TWENTY MILES? I am really getting freaked. I did manage the run yday and the stretch, and a hike today, and I think I'm going to swim tonight just to do it. But TWENTY MILES? Oh lord. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing Maria, I love reading about your journey :) Let me know next time you are going out for a local run, I would love to join! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i still clip out way earlier than i have to. dude, you're a bad ass. you're gonna rock this like only maria can. and solitair, i don't know who you are, but you can do 20 miles easy. tops it will take you two hours. i can't wait till you guys are putting in almost 130 miles in a single day. next time someone tells you to gear up for a 20 miler, on your feet or on your wheels, you'll be like, oh a SHORT DAY!!!! thanks for kicking cancer's ass. mad respect.

    ReplyDelete