Friday, October 23, 2009

It's truly amazing what you can get your body AND mind to do.

In reflecting on my second full marathon, which I just completed last Sunday (The Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, on October 18), it occurred to me what a HUGE undertaking it was when I first started training to run 26.2 miles. And keep in mind, I had started this journey less than a year ago.

I never used to be a runner, and the mere mention of running continuously for long periods of time terrified me. But it was my TEAM: My Honorees, Coaches, Mentors, Captains, Teammates and Cheerleaders (on Facebook :), at home and off the trails, and all of you who have so generously donated to the cause) that pushed me to keep going and eliminate all limits I put on myself. And I guess the rest is history.

What first started out as something I feared, has now become a part of my life I don't think I could do without. There's just something about the end of a race and attaining a goal you've worked so hard for ~ that is truly irreplaceable. And for me, having such a smooth race and reaching the finish line at Nike was really a gift. And I feel so fortunate to have it to look back on.

It's been such a transformative process, to discover what you're capable of in terms of changing others' lives... and even your own. So thank you for all your support. You've helped me get to two finish lines of 26.2 miles and I just can't get over it! And can you believe, this is only the beginning?

No comments:

Post a Comment