Monday, August 16, 2010

Taper & Recovery

Ah, what a week! It actually felt pretty long, come to think of it. I've tried to strike a balance these last few days between giving my body the necessary rest, yet still putting in quality workouts to get the blood flowing and heart pumping. In the meantime, I've also started the mental preparation FOR race preparation. I feel good and I feel ready.

Throughout the work week, I got in a nice long swim back at the pool in San Ramon with Liz and Nate. I also put in a good tempo run amid some headwinds mid-week [Run Stats] -- all while my bike was in the shop getting tuned up and race-ready.

All in all, I felt a little tired after a stressful work week and with tight leg muscles from the most recent bike rides and runs. It'd been about a month since my last deep-tissue massage (which I usually try to get in once or twice a month for maintenance and to get those hard-to-reach knots I can't usually get with a foam roller and a session of stretching.



By Saturday, a small group of us (Coach Mike, Nick, Phil, Heather, Nate and Carolyn [from the Vineman Group!]) all set foot (or pedal) for a ~43-mi ride through the towns of Pleasanton, Sunol and beyond ~ riding by the Calaveras Reservoir. I had done a short ride along this route in the past, but hadn't realized we'd make it all the way from Pleasanton to Milpitas!



The view was scenic, despite the crisp morning that felt too close to autumn weather more than summer. I didn't mind it much -- but it sort of foiled my plan to get some more practice and heat training in. I decided to wear double-layered clothing to try and simulate humid bike riding conditions for race day. Although it wasn't terribly warm out (in fact, there were some definite headwinds and dewy air for the first half-hour or so of our ride), I realized at the halfway point that I'd worked up more of a sweat than I thought. Keeping the heat close to my body via a tri top under my cycling jersey (ooh also with another small layer of cotton) did at least some of the trick I think. I promptly adjusted my electrolyte intake and continued to stay hydrated with the water in my aero bottle.

I was in for some challenges as well with shifting along the rolling hills -- more good practice for the Louisville course, as well as a good opportunity to test out all the gears after the tune-up job.

I paid more attention on keeping my heart rate steady and getting quality time in the saddle for our last 'long[er]' ride of the season. Ended nice and strong and felt content by ride's end. I also practiced some tube-changing on my back tire afterward [Ride Stats].

Saturday evening I spent some time with some of my marathon team buddies at a fundraiser for the summer team. Prepared for a wake-up call the next morning at the gentle hour of 7:15 a.m.



Sunday morning, I was off to Inspiration Point in El Sobrante (in between Berkeley and Orinda). The name truly does the place justice, because it's got several vista points of nearby Tilden Park, Wildcat Canyon and the Briones Reservoir (another great reminder of my roots -- it was the site of my daily crew practices back in college -- NCAA Division I).

It was kind of remarkable. Over the weekend, a girlfriend of mine told me that the drive to Inspiration Point from Pleasanton "kind of takes forever". It didn't really hit me until the morning drive yesterday ~ but hers and my perspectives are totally different now! Throughout my drive along I-680 in the East Bay, I looked back (both figuratively and literally) and noticed that the entire distance from my house to Inspiration Point was only a fraction of what I rode on my bike during the East Bay Century Ride. I literally rode those very roads, canyons, hills and everything in between all on my own. And it was so neat to be able to say that to myself and come to terms with what I have accomplished.

We always say "10 months is a long season". But in essence, it's not a very long time at all to go from no bike, to first bike, to first 100-mile bike ride, to Ironman. What an incredible journey it's been. And I'm so thankful for it all, as well as the support all of you have given me along the way.

I had another full-circle moment at Inspiration Point (how fitting, right?) :) The last time (and only other time) I had been along this course for a run was during my marathon season last summer. I had been taking a walk with my friends, Megan Bekker and Gina Clemens. I was so distracted by this prospect of joining IronTeam that I kept going back and forth in my mind as to whether I could even picture myself on a bike, riding long distances. "Who am I to sign up for something to big?" I thought. Both ladies told me to go for the gold, and so I did. One year later, here I am, packing up my bike for Louisville, and two weeks from this very moment, August 29th, the day of my Ironman Race Day, will be a memory and part of my life's story.

I had doubts then, before even starting. But now that I'm here on the other side of this wild, incredible journey -- I can say that I feel ready. I feel ready for whatever this day will bring me and plan to savor and embrace it all.



My run felt solid. We were to run for 100 mins along a mildly hilly course. Inspiration Point is pretty darn hilly so we were up for a challenge. But the amount of strength and focus I was able to summon for yesterday morning ~ all while reflecting upon a number of thoughts and memories, made it a really successful training day. I felt happy and at peace. And fast! [Run Stats]

After my run, I practiced another tube-change on the back tire at home ~ before heading to my long-awaited 90-min deep tissue massage. My massage therapist found gigantic knots to the left of my spine (from the bike and sitting at a desk at work); left lat (back muscle, a.k.a. swim muscle); right shoulder (from swimming and favoring the right side); left hamstring (from cycling); and both outer calves (from cycling and running). Despite my constant and habitual stretching, I was pretty twisted up like a pretzel and had to be kneaded up.

I'm still feeling a little sore this morning, but have been hydrating a lot to flush out the toxins and remaining lactic acid.

The remainder of my Sunday included attending another TNT Fundraiser (TNT raised a LOT of money this weekend!). And I also finished packing up all my nutrition for the trip to IML.



Bike, all bike gear & nutrition needs to be packed up and ready to go by Wednesday evening this week!

***
Week #40 Workout Summary: [Recovery Week]

Swim: 1 hours and 30 minutes
Bike: 3 hours and 30 minutes
Run: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Core/Strength: 0 hours and 15 minutes
Total Workout: 7 hours and 45 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment