Friday, August 6, 2010

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger



Since we're closing in on our final weeks here of training, enduring, achieving and all that is the IronTeam Experience -- I thought I'd chime in with a few brief updates wherever possible. As these moments will be but memories in 3 weeks!

I just have to say that this past week has been one of the harder ones for me physically. I've been feeling fatigued and sore. But on the other side of the coin, it's been one of the strongest for me mentally. What an incredible feat! To have now reached a point in the season where I'm working harder, but feeling just as able and mentally capable to perform the task at hand.

A few cases in point... open water swimming. I don't know why it took me so long to realize it -- but it's so much harder than swimming in a pool! Haha obvious statement right there. But without relying on walls, pushing off, turning, standing, lane lines, visibility to the bottom -- you're just left to fend for yourself and get from one end of a lake to another. And if you want to take any type of 'break', your only option is to tread water. Which is basically the equivalent of water running, which engages your core and keeps your heart rate up. Add to that the elements of not knowing what is in the lake WITH YOU (ok, I hope that doesn't frighten anyone - but the thought creeps up on you when you're out there!), and the slightest FEEL of a reed, leaf, branch, what-have-you will have you sprinting to your buddy a few yards away since they're wearing a wetsuit and you are not! There's always the possibility of using them as a flotation device.

The uncertainty of the unknown still makes me apprehensive to dive right in, but on both Monday and Thursday of this week -- I did just that. And I'm thankful to my teammates and friends (Liz & Barb) for getting me to go out, week after week, and enjoy a nice, refreshing 'Ladies' Night' Dip in the Lake after work on the weeknights. The currents were massive! and forceful. There was many an occasion on both nights where I could have been taken out by a wave and was pushed toward one side of the lake. But I muscled through and kept at it. Once again with the theme ~ sore, but fulfilled :)

Another example of my newfound Iron Up habits -- running. On Wednesday of this week, my hamstrings and calves formed into one giant tightened muscle. My hip flexors were also quite angry with me for pushing it extra hard on the bike (up Mount Diablo) the day before. But we had a run on the calendar. A 60-min run with 50 minutes at continuous tempo pace. Which for me -- translates to a 8:55 mins/mi run every 4 mins and a steady walk for 1 minute in between. Lots of numbers, I know. But I have it down to a science, thanks to my Garmin (and Coach Simon!). And I've been putting in the practice and training for my Ironman Marathon pacing.

I was so close to bailing on the run. My body was just saying, "No more!" Plus there's always the argument that I know "how" to run and it's the sport I have a little more background with among the 3. But I got out there and got it done. Not because I'd have teammates egging me on and peer pressuring me if I didn't do it. But more so: for me. The notion of "Money in the Bank" has finally struck me and I do see all of our workouts as valuable time and investments made into our Ironman Mental & Physical Bank Accounts, to be cashed out on August 29.

Essentially, if you're not taken to that place where you need to dig deep, your mind won't be trained to go there and perform the task it's meant to on Race Day. And it's been so remarkable to see that on each of the days this week: Monday Open Water Swim; Tuesday Hill Climbs; Wednesday Tempo Run & Thursday Open Water Swim -- neither my performance nor focus have wavered. This has been in spite of a stressful work week, some sleep deprivation after Vineman, and the no-caffeine rule I've imposed on myself this month. I've been there 100% each day this week and am so proud of myself. This isn't by any means to toot my own horn -- but just my way of stating the progress of my performance this season and my growth as an athlete I never knew I could be.

And if I'm feeling this good at the near end of another Build Phase of our training program; it will be incredible to see how I feel and perform after the Taper :)

Rest Day (usually on Mondays) has finally arrived! It's Friday! And I'm going to spend my evening with my feet up (likely stretching some more), mixing up my concoctions and 8-10 hour bottles of nutrition for tomorrow's last big bike ride of 100 miles through Napa Valley. My plan for this ride is to take it and emulate my race pace as best as possible. Which means I hope to complete 100 miles in 8 hours and 30 minutes or less. It will be a challenge (especially with larger hills on tomorrow's course than what I'll have in Louisville). But I'm going to give it my best shot and we'll see how it goes!

Thanks to all who've still kept up and visited my blog up until this point! I know much of the IronTeam excitement has died down since the majority of our team has already completed their event. But your support, and continual encouragement truly mean so much.

Ps. Some quality time stretching in front of the t.v. + foam rolling my IT bands nightly + "creative" trigger point tactics with a tennis ball + sleeping in recovery tights + and lots 'n lots of water have done the trick and my body loves me again! Fatigue be gone!

IronTeam's Fundraising Progress to Date: $231,084
My Fundraising Progress to Date: $9,301

1 comment:

  1. Hey Maria - just wishing you well in Louisville. I have a couple of friends doing their first Ironman there. I am so impressed with all of you who do this. I can barely imagine it. Also, thanks for doing so much for Team in Training. All us cancer survivors really appreciate this. GO TEAM! Art from Virginia

    ReplyDelete