Friday, May 14, 2010

Some Key Lessons Learned This Week



It's a multi-update week! For those of you who've been closely following. Life's been a little topsy-turvy the last few days and I wanted to share some of the biggest lessons I've learned as a result.

1. Things are never clear-cut or perfect. Always have a Plan A, Plan B, a C & a D. Maybe even an E.

- When life throws a monkey wrench (or two) into the mix, take comfort in knowing it's temporary, and there's always a solution. Support, encouragement (and equally, disappointment or things not turning out just as you planned) will come up when you least expect it. At the end of the day, it's about being flexible and rolling with the punches. You can't fall apart or let it eat away at you. Don't dwell. Accept the changes in your plan, and move on to the next best option that will carry you to where you want to go.

2. It's not about the Outcome. Keep your focus on the Process and enjoy the Journey.

- Two friends of mine, Rich and Mike C, reminded me of something really important yesterday. Combining their pearls of wisdom, I can summarize by saying that they told me the commitment, hard work and investment I am putting in now will be worth every second on race day. And to trust in that. Getting to the Louisville Start Line is where my sights are. Not the Finish Line. The Finish Line is the outcome of the day ~ not the determining factor of an Ironman's success. It's about getting to the start, taking in the fresh early morning, and recollecting the culmination of my nine-month journey. To reflect upon how far I've come. To take in the moment of calm before the race, breathe deeply and show gratitude for everything I've been blessed with, leading up to that day. After those few moments, is when I gear down, take charge of the day, focus, and leave nothing out in the water, or on the road. Nothing held back or left behind.

3. Attitude really is everything.

- I spent a lot of energy this week becoming disgruntled by my job. It's just been a bad week at the office. I've been saying things like, "Training's going excellent, but naturally, something had to give -- so it must be work." What I didn't take the time to realize was that it's ALL been a test. A test to see where my thoughts go, how well I can master my emotions, and how quick I am to let things go. And those are the skills I need to have in my back pocket for the Ironman. You have to focus on the Here & Now and keep all thoughts as positive as they can be. That's what will get you through.

4. When all else fails, trust yourself.

- At the office, I've noticed a horrible epidemic of negative attitudes, rude people, not enough time being spent on boosting morale and getting to talk to and really know people anymore. It was like a twist of the knife everytime I'd go to the coffee bar this week and someone with whom I work directly wouldn't even take the time to look up and say Hello. Not only was this incredibly disheartening to me, but it only fueled how upset I had become, because I constantly found myself asking, "Do people not care anymore?! What is the point of being nice and showing genuine care for the people I work with, if it's not even going to be noticed or acknowledged?!" And then the answer occurred to me... when all is said and done, simply be yourself. Trust in your abilities and strengths -- no matter what they are. You can't rely on external sources to validate or confirm whether or not you're doing the "right" thing. When in doubt, always trust your gut and stay true to who you are. No matter what.

5. "Respect the Distance."

- From The Triathlete's Guide to Mental Training. A much-needed reminder that this isn't kids' stuff. Day in and day out, I'm constantly thinking of (and on my way to!) swimming / biking / running / fundraising / juggling. The lifestyle of a triathlete. But what I had forgotten a while ago was that it's just not for any triathlon. I've ran into partners at work (seasoned triathletes at the Olympic-distance level) who've been astounded to hear about how much and how often I train. It surprises me that it surprises them! I've told them about our Boot Camp Weekends, the 3/4 Iron Distance Weekend up in Clearlake in June, and the big Triple Brick we have coming up in July, and they have trouble wrapping their minds around it all. And then I go back and realize, Oh. That's right. I'm training to swim, ride and run a really long distance, for a really long time. The magnitude of this race is huge. And it's not to overwhelm or intimidate, but the reality is that what I have chosen to undertake on August 29th is something so complex. It's a reminder that I need to go in prepared, flexible, ready to adapt to the conditions, and ready to let it humble me.

So in summation, I've learned that things won't always go as planned; people may come in and out of your life (with or without the support you may expect); and sometimes, it may feel like it's just you -- on your own, seemingly like you're the only one marching to your own drum, when everyone else is doing something different. But it's all part of life. And experiences like these not only enrich and teach you -- but they enable you to see a broader scope of who you are, and who you can become. Which is a model of strength, resilience, and adaptable to what life throws at you.

I have a rejuvenated sense of pride and excitement for what I'm doing. It took taking a step outside of myself [and the Iron bubble I've been living and training in for the last six months] ~ and of course, supportive and comforting conversations with good friends, to realize that the commitment, time, energy and sacrifice I've put in ~ really HAS been and is for something big. No... not just the mileage or distance. But for a life process and experience that is changing me and making me stronger. As I was reminded, I only have three more months of my Iron season. Three! It's a true privilege and honor to be doing what I'm doing, with the right people, for the right reasons, and giving back in the process. Sure, it can get monotonous, and the friends will occasionally get tired of the ol' "Sorry, I can't tonight; I have to train" excuse. But I can't ever take this experience for granted, and I intend on making these next three months a time of focus, fun, working more on building the mental fortitude needed for 8/29, and equally embracing the challenges and successes that come my way. And of course, bank some more cash for the Cause that's helped to inspire & bring me to where I am today.



Here's my plug for the San Francisco Oyster Fest, hosted by O'Reilly's ~ TOMORROW!

Saturday, May 15, 2010
11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Fort Mason, SF
$30 General Admission
www.sfoysterfest.com


ALL Beer Tips to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society!

Yes, I will be there all day, on my feet, ready to pour you pints of Guinness, Harp & [will have to perfect my] Black & Tans! This means I have moved my 80 (yes, 80)-mile bike ride with the Team to do on my own ~ to ensure we get some of the friendliest faces out on the lawn to collect your spare bills and change for the Cause! Last year, we raised $10,000 in eight hours ~ and hope to outdo ourselves this year! Come out and enjoy the festivities (food, drinks, music ~ CAKE will be headlining) and meet The TNT Endurance Athletes from the SF Bay Area!

More updates on my weekend training next week!

1 comment:

  1. 1. Love the "get to the START line not the Finish" - that's awesome.

    2. HEY NOW, you won't be out there Monday TOTALLY on your own!! (laugh).

    See ya tamale - sure hope I can find it (and park!) Shep

    ReplyDelete