Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mid-Week Update



In order to accommodate my parents' arrival into town this week (Thursday night), I'll be doing my track workout tomorrow morning -- the first of what will probably be several before-work trainings. The thing is, I work in the city, which includes setting aside time to get to the BART station, wait for the train, commute 45 minutes, and walk a couple blocks to my office.

I've deduced this will mean starting my run at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow at Cal High Track in San Ramon. Yikes!! Looks like no Cinco de Mayo festivities for me this year. My run workout will be a good and challenging one: 2 miles at my threshold pace of 9:14 mins/mile; a 5-minute walk; 2 miles at threshold pace; a 5-minute walk; 2 miles at threshold pace; and a final 5-minute walk. Followed by a quality stretch.

This will be an Iron Up Moment for sure, but it's one of the ways I can be confident I'll get faster and more efficient as a runner. And that's something I know will pay dividends. Unfortunately, the girls in my mentor group (Michelle, Kathryn & Marina) won't be joining me until later in the morning [luckily, because they work locally] but to save me any stress on hurrying or being rushed for time, I'll just have to ensure I get an early dinner in, and a good night's sleep directly after my spin workout tonight ~ so I can make it to the track at 5 in the morning. As well as maintain the motivation to start my run solo and to just keep on going.

On a side note, I met someone yesterday in passing who mentioned she's never seen or heard of a woman training for an Ironman. She's only encountered men who train for it. It gave me an enlightening perspective ~ I'm so used to constantly mingling with and meeting marathoners, triathletes and endurance atheletes of varying kinds (and with different backgrounds) that it's been awhile since I've stepped outside the bubble and realized how cool all this is. I may not be the first or only one of my kind -- but it's certainly a compliment to know I've broken a little ground for myself :)

On to more hydrating for tonight's spin and tomorrow's run! Happy Cinco De Mayo, everyone ~ and be safe out there tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment